The Egyptians used to draw forms (motifs) on their patterns that had symbolic meaning:
- The lotus plant – the symbol of plenty
- The papyrus – the symbol of intelligence and knowledge
- The winged globe or disk – denoting dominion or protection
- The scarabeus – the symbol of resurrection or immortality
- The asp – denoting wisdom etc.
- zigzag line – the symbol of the Nile
- the wave scroll – denoting water in motion, etc.
In the picture you can see all the frieze patterns that are found in this collection, as well as the ways how the above symbols were used.
Just as always when repetitive patterns are drawn, the file contains unpainted segments of all the patterns with which you can create a pattern by copying.